• FIRSTS



    Ola from Sao Paulo, Brasil!!


    I made it here safe and sound, and even my bags did too!

    So phase 1 of this awesome adventure is to visit some good friends in Brasil on my way through South America, and our first stop in Sao Paulo has been 'fantastico'!
    I'll let you figure out what that means...


    Goiaba, Havaianas, Metros, Museums, crash courses in Portuguese and a whole lot of "agua! agua! agua!" (that is the sound of a man on the street selling water...), this week has been buzzing.

    Even though the wider population of Sao Paulo numbers about 20 million people, this is a place that you can feel like you belong. Everyone marches to their own rhythm... there's such a diverse range of colours, faces, styles and tastes, and it all just seems to hum in tune with the sound of Sao Paulo. I've felt like I could just be myself from the moment I landed, and it's a great feeling in a place so far away. If I could handle a city with such intimate transit I'd feel right at home!

    Since this is the first post from afar, I thought I'd post up a couple of 'firsts' from this beautiful city. Just up there is the very first train station ever built in Sao Paulo. The station is called Luz, which means 'light'. I like that - it's rolling with the theme.

    And this here is the first 'Futebol' Stadium in Sao Paulo. One thing that rings true about Brasilians, they love themselves some futebol! This stadium was supposed to be closed, but the door was open and we didn't exactly stop to ask questions...

    Anyway, I reckon FIRSTS are awesome.
    They start the ball rolling. A whole new example. They take a punt, get a bit ris-que... (in the risky way).

    Just quickly,
    We were on the train today and a guy jumps on trying to sell some chocolate.
    This happens you see...someone with a backpack, yelling out to the public trying to get them to buy something. And the whole carriage was silent as he walked up and down. Awkward turtles were having grandchildren...

    But then this lady signals that she wants to buy one. And then another person. And another. And then this guy ends up selling them all to people in our carriage!

    It left me a little stunned how quiet everyone was in the beginning. Everyone wanted one but no-one wanted to be the first. Why is that?

    It made me think how when we're too afraid to be the first, there's often people that are wanting to do the same. When that lady asked for her first purchase, it gave everyone else the permission to do the same. I feel like there's a saying like that out there. Somewhere.

    So here's to those who start something - big or small, significant or minuscule - may we be the ones who don't let awkward gran-turtles get in the way of what we want, or what could be!


    5 comments:

    1. Sweet to hear your news. You are so right about being first, I know sometimes I feel that way. Thanks for sharing.

      p.s you gonna see some futebol :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Nathan, sounds like it is all off to a fun start! Your post, in a reverse kind of way, reminds me of that poor last piece of toast that goes all cold and hard and ends up being thrown out because no-one wants to take the last bit! We look forward to hearing more of your travels! The Dodd Family

      ReplyDelete
    3. Our culture makes it so hard to be "first" and take risks. But that is what we are supposed to do! You must watch "lessons from dancing guy" on you tube...along the same lines. Blessings in this new chapter :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. YOU GUYS ARE LEGENDS FOR READING THIS! Cheers for coming along for the ride ay!

      Man, I could learn a lesson from dancing guy ay ha it's super hard to be first and way easier to be second! We are all unique so they say we have something to give that no-one else can. Which would make us the first...Good challenge.

      Anna, I hope to see some futebol! Players are on break at the moment but I might be able to see a game later this month!

      Carolyn, good to hear from you! Man I always forget to grab the toast once it is done and then end up re-toasting which always seems to achieve a similar result.

      Cant wait to post more up! We are having an amazing time in a beautiful town called Bonito! More soon!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Awesome posts.....keep them coming :)

      ReplyDelete

     

    / Formando Vidas

    / The One Story