• D.I.Y.


    Us Kiwis, we're heaps familiar with the term 'DIY' - the good old do-it-yourself "she'll be right" kind of attitude.

    Man, embrace it I say.

    At the moment we are in the middle of Rio de Janeiro, with it's stunning landscapes and beaches in every direction.

    I can see why Jesus hangs out here.

    I'm not sure what you've heard about Rio, but in all the places I've been it hasn't exactly got the best safety rep. My Dad kindly showed me a documentary a couple days before I left about the crime and shooting that goes on inside Rio's Favelas. I've been told I shouldn't take a bus round here, never walk alone, and a friend from Sao Paulo gave me a heads up that 'in SP you can just get robbed but Rio is where you go to get mugged.'

    Okay cool.

    I guess it's pretty essential to hear things that will help you to be wiser about something, but those same words have the potential to freak you right out of it!

    That's what I love about 'DIY'. You can ask for advice, hear people out, and then just rip into it for yourself.

    I'm so glad we've done that in Rio, because this city has treated us well! We've hit the beaches, taken our photos and even toured through one of the famous favelas. And even though these "communities" are known for their danger and crime, it's funny how your perspective can change when you do something for yourself. I guess we were kept safe from all that stuff, but we were able to see a whole new side: The warmth of the people and the life going on inside these places through new initiatives and opportunities. It's limited, but it's happening.

    I left with a new perspective, just from doing something for myself. And when it comes to experiences - trying to know and understand something better - I'm pretty confident that wherever possible DIY-ing is the way to go.




    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    / Formando Vidas

    / The One Story